Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A room without windows


A house without books is like a room without windows. No man has a right to bring up his children without surrounding them with books, if he has the means to buy them. It is wrong to his family. Children learn to read by being in the presence of books. The love of knowledge comes with reading and grows upon it. And the love of knowledge, in a young mind, is almost a warrant against the inferior excitement of passions and vices



**********************************

The voting in the final round of the Canadian Blog Awards closes at midnight tonight. If you haven't already voted for me would you please consider doing so?

You can vote for Best Personal Blog by clicking here:

http://www.polldaddy.com/poll.aspx?p=250338

You can vote for me Best Family Blog by clicking here:

http://www.polldaddy.com/poll.aspx?p=250359

Thank you all for your support and especially for the heart-warming comments and e-mails I received regarding yesterday's post. Yes, Julie's parents read it and they have been greatly moved by all of your kind words about their daughter.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

OHmommy said...

Hi. Back from voting! Have a good one.

Amy said...

voting made simple.
Hope you win!

Suburban Correspondent said...

And turn off the TV! And the computer games! You can have a house full of books, but they can't compete with electronic entertainment for the mind of a small child.

Are You Serious! said...

I totally agree about the books! Love them and my kids love them as well!

AutoSysGene said...

Good luck! I'm a serious book lover, too.

Amy said...

of course, i will gladly vote for you. bye for now, as i have to go vote!

Laura said...

Books are the best!

I just read your previous post...what a wonderful tribute. Julie will always be with you. What a wonderful friend you are.

Votes are cast - good luck!

Jer said...

Votes are in!

There's just no way around books in my house...

Brittany said...

Pst- go check out my blog for a surprise!

painted maypole said...

great quote and picture

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I love that quote. Tis so true! I'm trying to figure out what book they were reading in that shot.

And I just voted. But OF COURSE. :)

dawn klinge said...

I hope you win! That is a great quote and the picture is precious.

GoMommy said...

I voted for you! For both- personal and family!

I love this post. Short and sweet. I LOVE books, as a kid and now even more. I can only hope to instill that love for them in my children.

Don't tempt me with movie set tours! I was voted by MJ "Most Likely To Tackle a Celebrity." God how I hate myself for it!

The Egel Nest said...

If that is true...I am surrounded by windows...(books)

Good luck on your voting...I'll go vote too!

Congrats on your E for excellent award! (Saw you got it on Brittany's site) :)

Bradley
The Egel Nest

kat said...

That was great. I grew up with tons of books around me and you will find it is still the case when you get into our house. Tons of books everywhere. That was so nice and these words rang so true in my ears. That picture is just adorable.

I just sneaked over to a colleagues computer to vote again

Kitty said...

We are a 'book' family - the pc and playstation still get a look-in, but it's a question of balance isn't it? :-)

jennwa said...

I lobe books too and your right it is very important.
Good luck with your voting!!!!

Anonymous said...

We hoard books in our house.. :) Good luck (I voted..!!)

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

We sure love books at our house too:)
Good luck in the voting!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I love the photo and the quote. We're just like that at our house too!

Lisa said...

L-O-V-E love that quote about books. How true, how true! Being an ex-reading teacher extraordinaire (ha!)we have a plethora of books around our house. Too many to count. I think children can have too many toys, way too many clothes...but never too many shoes or books :)