Tuesday, June 10, 2008

To everything a season

I was 20 years old the summer my nephew was born so it was inevitable that I would become the cool Aunt.

And so I did.

He’s a small-town kid just like I was, but ever since he’s been old enough to realize it, I’ve lived in big cities and worked in the film and television business.

When he was 12 years old he and a friend spent an entire day on the set of the short film Rob and I produced, observing with wide-eyed wonder and stuffing their faces with food from the craft service table.

After that he came at least once or twice a year to stay with us for a few days at a time. He watched Rob’s old music videos, dabbled on the drums and practiced his guitar in our music room and watched cable television late into the night in our basement.

Three years ago I took him on the set of a feature film Rob was working on. He caught a nod from one of his favorite actors and was delighted when the grips and special effects technicians gave him a special tour of their extremely impressive work.

Two summers ago Rob wrapped up production on this movie and brought him home a crew shirt and hat which, he assured me, was certain to help score chicks.

And just last year he confided with a sly smile, “Yup, I do a lot of bragging about my Uncle Rob to the kids at school.”

Well now it’s my turn.

I wasn’t sure if he would have time for his Aunt Kelly last Friday night when I first saw him, surrounded by all his friends, in my old hometown in a rented arena that smelled like teen spirit and possibility.

But he did.

He even hugged me. “I’m so glad you came and you’re gonna hear me play!”

And I did hear him play. My nephew’s band – Quarter Mile Line – was the second one on stage in a five-act concert line up that he organized himself and dubbed Toucapalooza (don’t ask!) after his charismatic bass player.

The music was incredible. The night went off without a hitch. My nephew and his band mates raised more than $1,000 for the music program at their high school and cemented their status as local rock stars.

As for me? I cemented my status as a dork by pushing my way through the sweating throngs to snap countless pictures of him during the performance.

But I didn’t care. As the music blared in my tender ears and the girls stuck behind me snickered and rolled their heavily-made-up eyes, it occurred to me that, like everything else in life, there is a season for being cool.

Enjoy your spring Grasshopper.

I couldn’t be more proud of you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

52 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Holy crap... you and your husband are like, famous and stuff. I never knew that.

So... any action on big budget comic book movies? ;)

Texasholly said...

That is pretty cool.

He looks like a rock star already.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Awwwww!! It's cool that you guys are all close. Happy for your nephew!

David said...

Amazing! Your influence and your Husbands are shining through him!
Great post, you must be proud!

Kat said...

Sounds like cool runs in your family. :)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Is there anything better for a teenage boy than being in a band?

Eternal Sunshine said...

Awww. I would be proud, too!

I don't get to be "Cool Aunt Mel", I've been dubbed "Crazy Aunt Mel". But not because I'm relly crazy... No really, I swear!!

GoMommy said...

Very cool!

Angie McCullagh said...

That's so totally rad.

I have an aunt 10 years older than me and she was always the cool one. Sadly, though, her cool turned into alcoholism and from where I stand now, doesn't seem so neat.

You sound far awesomer.

InTheFastLane said...

I looks like he is well on his way and will be the "cool uncle" back at your son.

Nowheymama said...

I cannot WAIT to be an aunt! Anyone listening??

KG said...

Good for you for bypassing coolness! I don't EVER get to be an aunt. Literally. I'm an only child and so is my husband. *sigh* But I'll make up for it by being an incredibly cool grandmother one day.

Woman in a Window said...

What is it in your blood that makes your brood believe in the self so much to be so successful. Putting yourself out there...so successful!

Marmarbug said...

holy crap you are famous! I am uber impressed! And that is so sweet about the nephew.

Aunt Becky said...

Your nephew is awesome. Seriously awesome.

A Crafty Mom said...

that's terrific!!! how great that you got to see him play - and great photo from a great aunt!

lattemommy said...

Cool. Very cool, indeed.

jennwa said...

He sounds lucky to have you as an aunt.
You must be very proud of him and you should be.
He does already look like a cool rock star.

flutter said...

ooo ladykilla!

Jaina said...

How exciting! That's so cool!

painted maypole said...

how cool!

Mental P Mama said...

You are ALL cool!

Valarie said...

What a superstud! He doesn't need no stinkin' t-shirt to score chicks...he's in a BAND! Nothing is cooler than that.....

ewe are here said...

The cool family, that's what you are.

:-)

Maureen said...

Very cool indeed. It's great when family members of different generations can connect like that. You're very lucky, and so is he!

Leanne said...

Ah, isn't it amazing that they grow up.... Great pics, one day he'll be asking for copies!

Anonymous said...

Ahh...He's rockin' the loose tie and button-up untucked. I'm lovin' it.

kittenpie said...

I'm glad it went smoothly!
So great you could be there and that he was still cool with that.

Laski said...

Wow! You must be so proud! You just earned countless cool points!!!

Amy said...

Awesome! You are a talented family!

Brittany said...

How sweet!! It is so nice to be an aunt, isn't it?!

Rhea said...

You did get to be the cool aunt! How awesome. And now, to get to hear him play, that's just wonderful. Very, very cool. Nice post!

Karen said...

You've got a wonderful family, and every right to be proud of that boy. Just as he does of you and Rob.

Unknown said...

That was a wicked story, Diva!! What an awesome accomplishment at such a young age...good for him!

April said...

Man, you're a great writer!!

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh tha tis so very cool-- I am so proud of my nieces and nephews too-- hard to believe that they are getting so grown up though. Makes me feel old!

Anonymous said...

Talent runs deep in the family I see!! Congrats to him.. that is awesome.

Amy Urquhart said...

Oh, I'm so glad it went well! Sounds like a great night.

~*Jobthingy*~ said...

wtg nephew!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Very cool. You weren't being dorky - you were the press!

Kellan said...

He's a BIG boy now and I'll bet he was fabulous. There stands my Little Billy in a few years. Loved this "love story".

Hope you are having a good week, Kelly - see you soon. Kellan

Kelly said...

First of all - Wow - I wasn't aware that this blog I've been stalking belonged to someone of such fame!
But more importantly - that was one of the coolest blogs I've read in ages. Congrats on being such a wonderful aunt and congrats on your nephew for aiming for (and by the sounds of it - on the way to) greatness!!!

Lisa said...

How great is that? And how special that you came to watch him play.

You are the cool aunt. forever!

Anonymous said...

Hey you should write about that fantastic drummer, Dan Pearce!

Karen MEG said...

Very impressive ... you are the coolest aunt, actually ;).

Karen MEG said...

Very impressive ... you are the coolest aunt, actually ;).

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I wish I could be an Aunt ... not other kids in the family sad to say.

Mandy said...

congratulations to your nephew!

and to you for being the cool aunty... i had visions of being that for my nieces. hasn't panned out yet.

Danielle said...

That is really sweet! I mean cool! Your nephew is so cool!!

Unknown said...

What an amazing post! You and Rob are the coolest aunt and uncle ever! Clearly, your nephew knows this! ;)

KathyLikesPink said...

I love being an aunt almost as much as I love being a mom. Nice work, Auntie!

I'll bet he's a total chick magnet!

Stephanie said...

Haha! I am probably never going to be the cool aunt - as my sisters are nowhere near having kiddos and I have one of my own. At least you got your cool status for awhile ;)