Sunday, November 18, 2007

I'm gonna make a memory

If you've been reading over the past few days you know that last week was an extremely trying one for me.

Though there were indeed moments when I felt my sanity was in doubt, I never considered not forging ahead with a 2nd birthday party for Graham yesterday.

When I was a kid my mom simply didn't believe in gifting me with a toy or an article of clothing for no reason. If I saw something I wanted, really wanted, it might possibly be bought and put away for one of the two most special occasions of the year; Christmas or my birthday.

Small wonder then that my birthday was so anticipated, so fraught with excitement. For me it was the culmination all of the year's longing and my parents always made sure it was special. I do not think I was a spoiled child by any means, especially by today's standards, but boy were my birthday parties something. I still remember them as the highlights of my childhood and I am committed to making those same memories for my Graham.

The party started late Saturday afternoon. Eighteen people gathered to celebrate, first in our pool which boasted water at 83 degrees just for the occasion.



A few hours later we moved upstairs to enjoy lasagna, curried lamb and salad before the birthday boy opened all his wonderful presents, only two of which (mega-blocks and twisty tunnels) were from mommy and daddy. I will happily spend my time and my labour to spoil Graham, but I'll save the debt for his Harvard tuition.

After the gifts came the cake, decorated with Graham's two favourite things: Elmo and a beach ball...

...both of which caused him to react just as I knew (hoped) he would.


Ya, it was a pretty good end to a pretty bad week. Look at that picture. Graham is covered in surgarey goo. There's a kid climbing over my head to get a better look at the cake. I've just been whacked with a noisemaker. And my face: oh yeah, I'm gonna make a memory, even if it kills me.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Laura said...

AWESOME PHOTOS... you give me hope I willsurvive Anderson turning 3 on Dec 6 and DJ turning 4 December 10...and a huge joint party!Send me your tips and lessons learned!!!!

Angie McCullagh said...

Wow. You're more ambitious than I!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Wow, sounds pretty amazing! Good for you:)
After 13 years and 4 kids, I try really hard to not host these things in my home anymore. So much work! But my soon to be 4 year old was born on New Year's Eve, so I inevitably host a huge brunch on New Year's Day for 20 or more relatives and friends. We moms are utterly insane.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely party. And happy birthday!

ms blue said...

The party sounds like fun was had by all!

Graham is so cute! Every time that I see photos of you, I'm amazed at how much you look like Jennifer Connelly. You must get that all the time.

Tania said...

Your facial expression in that last pic is priceless. It really says it all.

b*babbler said...

Sound like a perfect party.

And that look in the last photo? I had one of those on my face after our second party for Peanut... the "what in the heck did I get myself into" look.