Saturday, May 30, 2009

Loves

Wanna know why I loves the Internets?

I loves it because so many readers who know of my fears that Graham will forever be an only child, pointed out echoes of symbolism in my recent lonely tree lament that I didn't even see myself when I was writing it.

I loves it because within 24 hours of posting that lament for my lonely wedding tree I got e-mails from two cousins - both women I have always loved as sisters - reassuring me that the seedlings they had received at our wedding had been planted and were flourishing under their care.

One of them wrote: "Interestingly, or perhaps symbolically, the (tree) that lived is planted right beside the kids' wooden backyard climber (their choice location) and has been beaten with bats, tied up with skipping ropes, hugged mercilessly, jumped on from above, run over with sleds and crazy carpets, fed to guinea pigs, peed on by dogs and almost loved to death.

"It seems to thrive on the abuse of my four children as well as dozens more I have daycared in the past years. It was the perfect height for a preschooler, so every winter when we made bird feeders to hang up, or Christmas decorations, it was the perfect choice. If facing adversity builds strength and character, this tree shall have a long and happy life."

But not a lonely one, it seems. Not a lonely one.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

Laura said...

So true and so wonderful!

I really enjoyed your post about your tree.

Cheers!

Mandy said...

Can I just say, I can't wait to see you again in person this July. Hugs!

Tatiana @ averygoodyear said...

That's such a sweet letter to have received -- and so reassuring!

Aunt Becky said...

I'm wrapping my meaty arms around you at Blogher. I just love you.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

So deep and so touching.

flutter said...

I just adore you.

Heather said...

Oh I'm so glad Kelly. That helps a lot doesn't it?

JCK said...

Lovely!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

The internets are an amazing group, aren't they?

Michelle said...

:)
That's really sweet.

Life As I Know It said...

Never underestimate the power of the internets!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear that more of your trees live on! YAY! : )

Unknown said...

Just catching up on all your latest posts. Little One has been keeping me from my blogging time :) This 6 month old baby NEVER wants to nap during the day! Gah!

Graham is ADORABLE as ever and is growing soooooooo much! He's grown a lot since I started following your blog. He looks really tall!!!

Whitenoise said...

That's a great story. :-)

Jaina said...

That's fabulous. I heart the internets too :)