Monday, February 2, 2009

Wanna be a big loser?

Almost every Tuesday night I feel like The Biggest Loser.

And no, it's not just because I plant myself on the couch, munch snacks and watch television; it's because I plant myself on the couch, eat snacks and watch people on television swear off snacks and a sedentary life in favor of a grueling diet and exercise program intended to launch them on a lifetime path to health and fitness.

Yup, The Biggest Loser has become a bit of an addiction for me and why not? It features the most classic redemptive story arc of our time: everyman (or woman) whose obesity is a symbol of their inability to cope with emotional pain and stress are introduced to kick-ass trainers who put them through their paces physically and emotionally until they emerge transformed, in control of their lives and their bodies.

It makes for powerful viewing, especially since there is no doubt that these are real people, whose real lives are being changed. Just ask Julia Hadden.

Wanna read my exclusive interview with Season Four The Biggest Loser contestant Julie Hadden? Click on over to my Shooting For Hip column at Better Than A Playdate...

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

Ellyn said...

I couldn't get my comment to post on the other site for some reason.

Great interview. I never miss the show either.

Melisa Wells said...

We are tv twins, I'm convinced of it. :)

RiverPoet said...

I also had a problem posting a comment. The site said, "Cannot accept this data". Weird! Here is what my comment said:

Awesome interview! What an inspiration she is for people like me who have lost a large amount of weight and struggle daily to find the motivation to keep it off. Wonderful!

I watch the show every week, and I can't wait for the weather to warm up here so I can start hitting the sidewalk again.

Peace - D

moosh in indy. said...

I like to congratulate myself when I watch the biggest loser with a bag full of chips. Because I can stop myself and get up to go to the gym in the morning.
Wow, that sounds a lot snarkier than I mean it too.
I'M A NICE PERSON!
Humph.

Blog said...

I haven't gotten into it this season, but sounds like the kick in the butt I need to get my cardio on. hmmm...

Anonymous said...

I love that show so very much. I'm watching it as I type this comment even! Sometimes it even motivates me to go work out after. Sometimes.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I have never watched it, but it seems everyone I know just loves it.

petite gourmand said...

I confess I have been known to watch The Biggest Loser.
But mostly because I have a big crush on Bob.
I wish he was my personal trainer.
I usually record it and fast forward to the end to see how much they loose each week.

It really is crazy how much the show has changed these people's lives.

petite gourmand said...

oops "lose"
must check spelling before hitting send.

carmilevy said...

It's become a must-watch in our house. Unlike so much of the tripe that passes for entertainment these days, this truly is reality. There's definitely something compelling and human about watching folks change their lives in front of our eyes.

Read your last post and found myself applauding. I'm also a Canadian j-school grad, and I couldn't have said it better myself. Wonderfully put. Thank you for having the guts to say it like it needed to be said.