Friday, August 21, 2009

We Miss Eddie

So...umm...yeah...this sucks.



"We Miss Eddie. Eddie (Edgar) is our small, tabby (black and grey with
white tummy)
cat who went missing when we moved into (our new address)
last week. If you have seen her, please call us!"

The poster's been up for more than three weeks now: no one's called us.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Eddie isn't coming home.

Despite the fact that these posters are up all over our new neighborhood. Despite the fact that Rob and I have spoken to countless new neighbors and ventured out separately many a night calling for her at the top of our lungs (and annoying said new neighbors).

Despite all these things, I think it's pretty safe to say Eddie isn't coming home: it's been exactly a month since she slipped out the back door three days after we moved in.

She (yes she's a girl) is a scrappy cat and a mouser, so she might well be managing just fine. But what keeps me awake nights is the knowledge that she won't be fine at all once the cold weather hits. And despite the fact that I've babied her for the past nine years much the same way I've babied her feline brother, she's always been skittish and fearful of people: I'm almost certain she would never let any well-meaning cat lover take her in, no matter how much she needed it.

I feel awful and Rob feels awful. Graham did feel awful but cheered up considerably after I marshaled my considerable acting ability to convince him that Eddie had just gone to live with another, perfectly wonderful family. (Does that count as a lie? Probably. Do I care? Nope - he just lost his Oma for chrissakes).

Sigh.

In other, more cheerful cat news, it's been almost exactly a year since so many of you weighed in on the tough choice I made with regards to our other feline friend. I'm happy to report that Horace is still living healthily with his facial lesion: he ain't as pretty as he used to be but at least he's present and accounted for.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Have you checked your OLD neighborhood? When we moved our cat kept going back to our old condo. It was only about 3 miles but he had to navigate some very busy roads. My old neighbor called me everytime it happened because he would sit outside of my door and cry.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oh, honey! I'm sorry. There's still hope, though. Cats have returned after much longer than a month.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! If she's doing find on her own she might come home when it starts to get cold.

mep said...

Maybe Eddie is off having a summer fling? I really hope she finds her way back home.

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh. I'm so sorry.

InTheFastLane said...

That does suck. Big time. And i too am wondering about your old neighborhood.

flutter said...

Oh, man, that totally does suck

CaraBee said...

Major bummer! I hope she comes home.

CC said...

Awwww! Hugs. :( :(

Anonymous said...

I'm so, so sorry. That's really no fun.

I want to echo Beth, though. I would check the old neighbourhood. Pets can traverse great distances, and she's more likely to return to the place she's familiar with.

And I don't blame you one bit for the lie. Graham is still pretty young and you have to take his age into account. He's lost his Oma and just moved - that seems like enough on his plate for now.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose a pet and harder still when one loss comes on top of another.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Oh Kelly I'm so sorry! I agree that you could check out your old neighborhood just in case. Cats are very resilient and it's possible that she has made a new home.

Tara R. said...

I'm so sorry about Eddie. (We have a girl dog named Max, so the name thing I get).

Teena in Toronto said...

Too bad about Eddie ... no doubt someone has taken her in.

Cathi said...

Cats do have a tendency to go back to old haunts. I would check the old neighbourhood and put signs up around there as well. And cats do come home after longer than a month!

Heather said...

Aw, that is a bummer. Don't lose all hope though, Eddie may still turn up!

Pregnantly Plump said...

I'm sorry! We move a lot, and during our last relocation, we spent several hours convinced our most skittish cat had escaped. Maybe Eddie will turn up... possibly at your old house?

Caffeine Court said...

Don't give up. Cats are so amazing. She just might turn up one of these days.

I feel for you though. I'm so neurotic about my pets.

Bekah said...

Any chance she would have made it back to your old neighborhood? Maybe she meant to come back, but she went to the old house?

mare ad mare said...

Don't lose hope - we had an outdoor cat, and after we moved one time - he was gone for over a month. We thought he was gone too, but he came back one day meowing at the door. A little hungry and happy to see us.

Rachel said...

Awww honey. HUGS.

caramama said...

So sorry about your missing cat! And it's not a lie, she may very well be living with another family. There are those of us out there (like me) who are able to befriend the most skittish animals. Hopefully, that's what happened.