Friday, August 7, 2009

This just in: Don Mills not dead! Sinful Love lives!

Back when I wrote my very first post here at Don Mills Diva, I pointed out how ironic it is that Rob and I made our home in Don Mills.

It is ironic because back in 1985 Rob was the lead singer in Sinful Love, a Ramones-style band that had a local hit song and video - Don Mills is Dead - which points out, in no uncertain terms, that our chosen neighborhood is lame.

So last night, as I searched YouTube to see if anyone had posted video of me reading at the BlogHer Community keynote (vanity, thy name is DMD), I realized that someone had posted a video of Don Mills is Dead.

The video and song below were written, directed and produced by Rob and his band mates in 1985 when the technology we take for granted today was years away from even existing. It achieved regular rotation on MuchMusic (Canada's MTV) and garnered Sinful Love a cult following in Toronto.

Rob was 18 years old.

Sure, his haircut leaves something to be desired. But you know what?

I couldn't be more proud.




(And also, the woman who opens the door and shakes a frying pan at the band? That's my late mother- in-law. Secretly, I think she was proud too)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

zoom said...

I wanna be a former rock star!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word. The hair! The Eaton's! I am totally rocking out and re-living my youth. That is awesome.

Cheryl said...

I want to be a rock start too! So, tell me, did you come across a video of you at BlogHer? Because i'd love to see it!!

Vered said...

He's fabulous! Of course you're proud.

That haircut - so eighties!

Michelle said...

LOL! That was awesome.
So very 80s... and Eatons!

Madge said...

love it. the 80s rock...

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oh. My. God.

Love it.

And, was that a dancing... lion? With an Elvis haircut?

Heh. You Canadians crack me up. ;)

CaraBee said...

The hair. The glasses. Pure awesomeness.

flutter said...

Oh...BAHAHAHAAAA!!!! I love it.

Whitenoise said...

waaay cool ;-)

The Redheaded Lefty said...

AWESOME. What a find!

karengreeners said...

oh, dear lord. god bless the '80s.

Jaina said...

That's so cool! Now I just have to go back when I can listen to it with the volume on! How neat is that?!

Teena in Toronto said...

Ha! What a great blast from the past! It's been a while since we've seen Eaton Stores.

Ya gotta love the hair!

Leanne said...

Eatons! That's the first thing I thought when I saw it too, that and I obsessed over the fact that I'm older than Rob - Weird. This is neat though, glad you found it.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Awesome. Just Awesome.

Mandy said...

How cool is that??? They were actually good, too!!! Thanks for letting us see this!

Flea said...

I'm so glad you found that. Are you going to get your hair cut, too? And feathered? I love it!

petite gourmand said...

is that REALLY the same guy I met at the Don Mills Center a few weeks ago?!
crazy!
The hair rocks.
Love the video- especially seeing Macs Milk & Eatons again..
and nice silver Cutlas...
sweeeet ride.

Karen MEG said...

Don Mills is definitely NOT dead, this was hilarious! And Rob is great in that video, that hair, you know, was all THAT in the day.

Was that filmed at Don Mills Centre? Cuz we were just at the new and improved Shops at Don Mills, and it looks like a great re-birth!

Hope you guys are well!

BREWSTER said...

They must have filmed the animation dude with the guitar at Chuck 'e' Cheese at V.P. and Sheppard. Spent many birthday's there with my daughter and her friends so I recognize the guy.