Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Help a sister out?

Yo, bloggers!

Why do you blog? How do you blog? And how do on-line relationships and blogging fit into your real-life world?

I know you’ve all got lots to say about this because, well, don’t we all? It’s a life-changing thing, blogging is, and one of my most favorite bloggers, who also happens to be a researcher at the University of Waterloo, has set up a survey of blogging practices that you really should participate in.

I’ll let her take it from here:

“Have you ever been freaked out when a casual acquaintance from ‘real life’ found your blog? Or when your Sitemeter showed a steady stream of Google pervs visiting your site? Do you wonder about whether to put up photos of your children or your friends on your blog, for fear of your privacy? Many of us have experienced these unsettling moments, and questioned or even changed our writing styles and our habits as a result.

What strategies do you use to reach the audience you want, while maintaining your own privacy? Most bloggers use some kind of anonymization or privacy strategy, a ‘screen name’ being the most simple and obvious.”


Please help her out and contribute to the study of something important to us all by clicking here. You can also contact Aimee directly at ahm@uwaterloo.ca for more information. She is going to BlogHer in San Francisco and she’d love to interview you in person: if you’re going send her an email at the address above.

And also?

Yo, eaters!

It’s BBQ month over at Don Mills Diva Recipes and Reviews and I just posted LeeAnne's latest unique recipe for grilled haloumi cheese. It’s perfect if you’re lactose intolerant or vegetarian or if you just plain love tasty cheese. Check it out!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

Done! It was interesting to think about why I do what I do in regards to my privacy.

Texasholly said...

Great idea for a study. I am headed over...

Unknown said...

I'm heading over there now :)

Oh, I've also got to check out the grilled haloumi cheese recipe! I love summer for so many reasons, and BBQ season being one of them!! :)

Helen Wright said...

I started my blog to keep everyone back home informed of what was going on. Then I started to read others. I now have a 'real problem' and don't know what I would do without it!!! ;)

Anna said...

Great research idea. Headed over there now...

Mary Beth said...

My blog started as a way to "write out" some issues I was having and grew from there. I am headed over to check out the survey now.

Woman in a Window said...

Interesting questions. I'll take a peak.

Life changing, isn't it? I'm shocked by the truth of this.

Parent Club said...

Done!

Karen MEG said...

Done too!

María said...

I'll do it - and I'm willing to be interviewed too, but I don't know how much help I'd be, being as I use real names and stuff online.

I'm not very interesting. LOL

Nowheymama said...

How interesting! Wonder what the results will show?

Shellie said...

I will stop by both those places, and I'd like to invite you to stop by my place to pick up an award I gave you. Its below the video, a good ways into the previous post. Have a great day and I'm glad you didn't crash your parent's float plane, too!

Jaina said...

Thanks for that link, it was a good survey, and I definitely got the chance to reflect on my blogging practices.

Melissa said...

fun study I will have to check it out. I always love thinkign of why I love to blog. It really is mostly for me. But I truly do love posting things I think people would love and do.

Mental P Mama said...

My children's friends visit my blog, so I tend to keep it PG. So any of my acquaintances wouldn't be too shocked! Once you get all the answers organized, please let us know!

KathyLikesPink said...

Done! Interesting questions. I hope we get to see the finished report at some time. I'll bet it's interesting.

JCK said...

Great study idea!

You're also making me hungry, Girl.

I've got some bling for you.

Miss Lisa said...

Too funny--I've been wondering that recently myself.
Will check it out :)

Claremont First Ward said...

Done! :)

Threeundertwo said...

Done. I hope you post a link to the results.

Stacey said...

I'm heading on over to put my two cents worth in.
I have had two occasions where someone from the real world has connected me with my blog. One was an inlaw so I quickly went home to check I hadn't mouthed off about them in any past posts.
The second one figured out where I lived from some fairly obscure references to my local area. She even picked the street from a fuzzy background to a photo. Very strange.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes....I will be heading over as soon as I finish reading your posts to check this one out.

I'm interested in hearing the results of this one. Thanks!