Monday, June 2, 2008

Cleaning without chemicals

I have always thought that cleaning products were a necessary evil.

And when I say evil I mean exactly that because I, more than most people, know how dangerous they can be.

My adult niece was a young toddler when another baby around her age pulled a common household disinfectant out from under the kitchen sink at her babysitter’s house and sprayed it in her eye.

Both of them were too young to understand or explain what happened and by the time my niece got proper medical attention it was too late. Her eye was so badly damaged it had to be removed.


Read the rest over at
Don Mills Diva Recipes and Reviews. Yes, you read that right - I've started a new blog with my sister-in-law who is an honest-to-goodness recipe developer! The new site is gonna feature cool reviews and contest giveaways as well as unique and original recipes. June is superfoods month, BTW - check it out!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♡ How tragic!

So I'm wodering about the germs and stuff how does it work for that???

OHmommy said...

I am locking up my cabinets right now. How scary. Off to check out your new blog. :) How cool!

flutter said...

my shower requires WMDs. Just sayin'

~*Jobthingy*~ said...

ok that is scary. :|

Kat said...

That is so scary!!!! Thank you for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

That's awful, Kelly! Makes me shudder.

Congrats on the new site, though! I love recipe sites :)

Anonymous said...

I'm also wondering about the disinfecting qualities . . . I know you said it picks all of the stuff up off the counter, but what about after you wash them? How long do they last?

I dunno - there's just something about the "smell" of clean that makes me feel good.

HOWEVER, I will say that my cleaning ladies (that my MIL pays for - thank you thank you thank you MIL!!!) use only natural stuff . . . nothing "smells" clean when I get home, but it sure does sparkle.

I'd love to get rid of my chemicals . . . I'll have to do some more lookin' on their Web site :-)

Melisa Wells said...

Scary.

But regarding the new blog...YOU GO GIRL!

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

That is so frightening! I still have baby locks on our cleaning supply cabinet, even though technically the girls probably will not get into them.

p.s. congrats on the new blog...souns awesome!

Claremont First Ward said...

I had over cleaner sprayed in my eyes as a child and was the only one in the family to need glasses.....your poor niece. I'm ready to go back and read more......

Anonymous said...

Oh no your poor niece. :( That always scares me. I'll have to go read more.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I made the meatloaf tonight--it was fantastic! The recipe is definitely a keeper. I didn't have zucchini so substituted carrot, which worked fine.

Marmarbug said...

that is really upsetting! I was always so good about locking up chemicals. I may go green though.

Woman in a Window said...

Just thinking about toxicity of things ONE MINUTE AGO when I applied flea medication to our dog. I hate to do this but did battle with fleas once and it wasn't pretty. Hate to bring these toxins into the house. Now I have to keep the kids off the dog for a few weeks...

Jaina said...

So scary.
Off to check out the new blog!

Eternal Sunshine said...

Y'all are added to my Food Blogs folder!!

Scary story - I always make sure that cleaners are kept out of reach...

caramama said...

That is scary! I'm so sorry about your niece!

Love the new blog. I'll be bookmarking that!