Saturday, December 22, 2007

Beauty secrets

It's great fun to go and travel and ski and eat and drink and enjoy the nightlife.

But it's even more fun when your heart, not just your belly, is full.

And that, I think, is what made my mini-vacation so wonderful. I have never before sat dressed to the nines, in an elegant bar in a faraway resort town, and smiled and tossed my hair and drank in the ambiance all the while thinking, I've got a secret.

You can't tell by looking at me, but it isn't the wine or the lights or the day on the slopes or even the admiring glance of my husband that is making me glow.

It's the love of my faraway little boy that flushes my cheeks and sparkles my eyes. And no matter how wonderful this all is (and it really, really is) I am smiling because I am thinking of how it will be when I open the door to my home and he rushes into my arms.

And you know what? Coming home was just as wonderful as I imagined going away would be.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Coming home from a trip is always so nice....as long as the house is clean. :)

Glad you had a nice time!

Kellan said...

That is so true - I love coming home again - especially to all those smiling faces and open arms. You and I are very lucky.

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip - I am glad! I hope you have a good Holiday weekend and hopefully I will see you before Christmas, but if I don't - Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family. See you later. Kellan

dawn klinge said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say how much I love it. This post had me smiling because I know how true it is- the love of a child truly does make moms beautiful.

Barrie said...

I'm glad you had a great trip. And a great coming home! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Badness Jones said...

Aren't those "Mommy! I missed you!" hugs the best?

Whitenoise said...

I have 3 at home, and I'm away at work up to 4 days at a time. The oldest is now 13, and getting a little too cool, but the two youngest still rush to the door. It's a great feeling.

Happy Holidays.
;-)

Karen MEG said...

So nice that you had a great time, and I'm sure the homecoming was the absolute best! That mad dash at the door is irreplaceable!

Tania said...

I'm glad you got your perfect greeting.

Family Adventure said...

I totally get this. It's the very best part of going away.

Heidi :)

Audrey said...

Oh it's always wonderful to come home after being away. Anyway, here's wishing you a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year! Have a great time!

erin said...

We had to be away from our kids just overnight due to a snowstorm and I was still so excited to get home so I could see them. I am such a Mom!

OHmommy said...

Dressed to the nines.... again, a little jealous.

:)

Glad you had a wonderful time and even a more wonderful homecoming.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Sounds lovely...I know what you mean about coming home. It's so nice (and vital, in my opinion) to occasionally get away, but there's nothing better than seeing your babies when you return!