Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Out with the old

We are moved, though far from settled, into our new home.

There are still boxes everywhere and I have yet to find a million things, but last night Graham returned from a few days at my parents' house to a new room, complete with a big boy bed.

And even though there were a million things I should have done first, I spent hours setting up his room in hopes that its beauty would distract him from the fact that he had well and truly left his old home and his old crib (the crib I often thought would serve as his marital bed) behind.

The room and the bed are spectacular. (As soon as I figure out where my camera is packed I will post pictures to prove it, but in the meantime take my word for it: seriously cute.)

But that doesn't mean I wasn't worried about Graham's reaction. Graham is about as stubborn as your average mule and has been known to loudly declare (sometimes apropos of nothing) "You KNOW I don't like change mommy!"

So last night, just before I switched out the light, I cuddled with him on his new bed and indulged in some gentle reassurances.

"Isn't the new homestead nice Graham?" I asked.

"Yes mom," he replied.

"And don't you like your new room?"

"Yes mom."

"And I just love your new bed, don't you?"

"Yes mom."

"And don't you think-

"Mommy!"

"Uh...yes Graham?"

"Could you please go away now so I can get some sleep?'

Ahem.

Apparently Graham is going to be just fine, thankyouverymuch.

(I'm not so sure about mommy).

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 comments:

Jaina said...

Haha, poor Mommy ;) At least you didn't have to deal with wailing and gnashing of teeth, right? Can't wait to see pictures!

AutoSysGene said...

Their amazingly adaptable sometimes, huh?

Glad everything is starting to fall into place!!

Cheryl said...

Awww Poor Mommy! Graham is such a wonderful little boy and so lucky to have you! Can't wait to see pictures!! xoxo

Teena in Toronto said...

I'm sure you'll all be settled in soon enough.

Heather said...

THAT is awesome! Hilarious the things kids say.

Whitenoise said...

haha ;-)

Beth Cotell said...

And a little child shall lead them....

You'll be just fine!

Flea said...

Bwahaha! So young to know you so well. :) He's adorable.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Graham is doing very well. They really are much more resilient than we give them credit for.

I bet that you'll be OK soon, too. :)

Jess said...

Happy New House to you!

Kat said...

HAHAHA!!! That is awesome! Good for him! :)

April said...

As well as we think we know our kids, they never cease to surprise us, do they?

Vered said...

Kids are often more resilient than we think they are. Glad he's doing well.

flutter said...

you'll be great, I promise

Mandy said...

Graham just gave me hope that my little guy will someday come to embrace his own bed and bedroom!!

I'm glad that was a breeze for you! Couldn't have planned that one any better, huh?

Michelle said...

YAY! I'm so happy that you guys are all settled (mostly). I hope Peanut adjusts to her new room as well as Graham has!

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Sounds like he is at home already...congrats on the move and hope you get settled in soon!

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

oh yes, I was surprised both times the boys moved from crib to big boy bed... they were both more ready than I was for sure!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Sometimes they do the perfect thing at the perfect time.

Karen MEG said...

Congrats on the move Kelly! I just love Graham, what a cutie, sounds like he's settling just fine!

Hours to Chicago...

xoxo

Pregnantly Plump said...

That is so great to hear! We are about to go through a big move to a new house and a new big boy bed, and I'm very hopeful that our experience will be similar.

Dee said...

What a wonderful story.

Congrats to you.

Graham sounds so fine. That's a lovely name too.